For those of you who did not know Ava was born with underdeveloped hips. She was diagnosed in the hospital 2 days after she was born by our pediatrician (who originally said they were dislocated) who referred us to an orthopedic doctor. We visited this doctor and had an ultrasound done on Ava's hips which determined they were underdeveloped. After the ultrasound was taken and reviewed the doctor suggested that her hips may heal themselves and to give it a few weeks before we put her in a brace to stablilize them and help them develop properly. Well that was 7 weeks ago and a lot of prayers and fasting - Thank you to everyone who prayed and fasted for her. We went back to the orthopedic doctor today and unfortunately her left hip socket is still too shallow and she was put in a brace/sling today that holds her legs at a 90 degree angle. She has to wear it for about 3 months and can only take it off during bath time. This was expecially hard to see and yes I did start crying when they put it on her but we know that it will be a great blessing in the long run and we are so grateful that they caught it early so that it can be fixed before she is mobile and when it will really start causing her problems.
On a lighter note... I am pretty sure Ava hates this Orthopedic hospital - with good reason. The only diaper blowouts she has ever had have been the 2 times we have gone there. Today's was pretty juicy and actually dripped out of her diaper while my mom was holding her and luckily didn't get on anyone but Ava - and it was all over her! She was completely stripped down and it was disgustingly funny. I think she was just letting them all know what she thought. I guess we are still working on those bodily functions.








3 comments:
Poor thing. I didn't know that. She is just the cutest and knows how to make a brace look good. Her happy face is so sweet!
How is it that I didn't know ANY of this?! I even visited you in the hospital and heard nothing about it.
I know what you mean about crying when they put the brace on. It's not as though she's not going to recover, but you hate to see your little baby in less than perfect condition. I felt the same way when Hyrum was in the NICU.
Oh my, I had no idea, how is she doing now? She is so beautiful, seriously I just want to hold her.. oh so cute, just like her mommy and daddy. I will keep her in my prayers.
love ya
Post a Comment